Thursday, April 22, 2010

Whoop!

We have made it to the last week of our first trimester! I can't tell you how relieved I am. As far as I know, everyone is growing and doing fine. I read the other day that right now, for this short week, the babies move about 30% of the time! Now, that stops because that uses too much of their reserves, but still. Let's see what is going on with the babies this week...

Week 12:

The second trimester, baby shifts into the growth and maturation stage. After weeks in the critical development stage, almost all of baby's systems are fully formed. The baby's brain is not the same size it will be at birth, it does have the same structure. Bile is being secreted by this time. S/he weighs about 14 grams and is approximately 3.54 inches in total length.
Your baby has its reflexes and also practice movements in the digestive tract. All in preparation for extrauterine life. The babies are the size of a plum!!

Yesterday I got a wonder ful package in the mail with the cutest onsies. Thank you Jenn and Leanne! I'll post pictures of them probably over the weekend.

The nurse visit with the new doctors office went well. After Monday I will be released into Dr. Stewart's care. Just like with Dr. Nash, I will see him every two weeks for an ultrasound and exam. I believe at 24 weeks I will start having bi-weekly non-stress tests. That is where they hook you up to the FECG monitors and record the babies for a certain amount of time. It also lets them know if I am having any contractions. 24 weeks just doesn't seem that long when you stop and think of it.

I feel fine. I think I am having some ligament stretching in the groin. I notice that when I sit and go to stand and walk, I kinda limp along for the first 10 steps or so. I've also been having some little twinges in the uterine area, but from what I've read it seems that is stretching as well. I see Dr. Nash on Monday, I'll talk to him about it. I assume since the babies are the size of plums that there will be some stretching and pulling as we go along.

Next ultrasound is Monday. I hope we get good pictures of all three of them. I am especially looking forward to hearing Baby B's heartbeat loud and clear. He/she is the one who is pushed to the back. While we heard it last time, it was faint because of positon. Not as loud as the two up front.

I told my boss about the triplets last week. I was terrified! However, he already knew so it was a moot point. It seems someone who knew or overhead went and told him right after we found out. So, I was scared for nothing. I laid out my plan for when I am out on leave. He seemed to be okay with it. I now have to just make sure I deliver what I say.

On a sad note, today we lost Derek's grandpa. It was expected, but that doesn't make it hurt any less. He was very excited about the babies and we will make sure they know all about him. RIP Papa

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry for you, Derek, and you 3 little ones on the loss of Derek's Grandpa. I know you will tell the little one's all about him, once they arrive. Whisper to them now, tell them about the man he was, and how much Derek loved him! You are ALL in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete